Seeking Out on the Shelves Project Coordinator
Part-time; fixed-term contract over five months
Applicants may be based anywhere in Aotearoa New Zealand as long as they have good internet access and a space to work from, however applicants from Wellington are favoured.
InsideOUT is currently seeking a coordinator to lead our Out on the Shelves campaign.
As InsideOUT’s Out on the Shelves Coordinator you will have responsibility for coordinating and delivering our Out on the Shelves campaign. Out on the Shelves is an online resource that lists books with rainbow themes and characters, with the aim of supporting rainbow young people to find stories that represent their identities in positive and affirming ways.
Out on the Shelves is also an opportunity to create more visibility in our school and community libraries. Our campaign week is a chance for libraries to promote and build their rainbow collections, celebrate these stories and help connect rainbow young people with their stories and with each other.
In 2021 we are particularly interested to hear from anyone with previous campaign management or marketing experience who may be able to help grow the campaign to reach more libraries.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Overseeing the coordination and delivery of the project
- Updating and developing the website through WordPress
- Liaising with schools and libraries to promote the campaign week
- Improving the campaign’s usefulness and relatability to Māori and other ethnic minorities
- Leading the creation of informational guides for schools and libraries around topics such as rainbow representation in the curriculum
- Organising events relevant to the campaign
- Running a writing competition for rainbow young people
- Working with other staff and volunteers to deliver the project
- Regular reporting to our Managing Director
- Gathering feedback and completing an evaluation report for the project
We are looking for someone with superb organising and communication skills (written and verbal). Knowledge and passion about rainbow literature and media would be an asset. The ideal applicant will be self-motivated with strong time management skills, proven experience planning and coordinating successful projects, and experience using WordPress or similar web development tools. Knowledge of the challenges faced by sexuality, sex, and gender minorities and cultural competency would be an advantage.
InsideOUT is a growing organisation that works to support youth, whānau, schools, community groups, youth services, government agencies and other relevant organisations to provide safer schools and communities for young people of minority sexualities, sexes and genders. More information about the organisation is available on our website: insideout.org.nz
This is a contract for up to 120 hours, spread across five months (March-July). Days and times worked are negotiable, but applicants would ideally have time to work between 5 to 20 hours per week (weekly hours will likely build up around the project campaign week in June). The successful applicant will be paid above the living wage.
Contact us to view a full job description. E-mail your CV, cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5th March 2021 to apply.