InsideOUT is always looking for new volunteers to get involved!
We are currently seeking:
June 2018: We are currently seeking youth board members (under 27), executive advisers, a treasurer and general youth volunteers (under 27). Read the information below to see if it’s right for you!
The board takes care of the more big picture stuff – overseeing our vision, setting our strategy, making big decisions, receiving reports on projects, contributing to financial planning, decisions around employment etc.
We’re hoping to find people who are able to commit for at least a year or two to these roles.
The general role of a board member is to support the following processes
• Set and maintain vision, mission and values, and develop strategy
• Establish and monitor relevant policies and procedures
• Ensure moral and legal compliance and accountability with relevant organisations
• Maintain proper fiscal oversight
• Select, manage, and support staff in their roles, and evaluate performance
• Maintain effective board performance through member conduct and utilising development opportunities
• Promote InsideOUT as ambassadors and work to protect the reputation of the charity
• Be familiar with the strengths and challenges that sexuality, sex and gender minority youth in Aotearoa face
• Represent the organisation in an official capacity as required
• No experience required, however knowledge of InsideOUT and the structure of governance boards would be an advantage
• Contribute to the vision, mission, and values of InsideOUT
• Regular meeting attendance
The ongoing commitments are:
(10-15 hours a month)
• Attending a three hour board meeting at a set time monthly (usually 6-9pm on the second Tuesday of each month)
• Attending occasional additional meetings throughout the year eg. strategic planning days, trainings
• Allowance for meeting one on one with board members or staff as needed
• Approximately up to one hours worth of responding to board business via facebook or e-mail weekly.
If you’re interested in applying, then the process is to send in a CV and cover letter/expression of interest letting us know why you want to be involved and what you might be able to offer to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’d love to hear from you!
Board members can also take up general volunteering, but volunteers don’t have to be board members, so if you think your skills/interests would fit more with being a general volunteer we are happy to talk about that – please read on for more info.
InsideOUT is seeking executive advisors (EAs) to join our governance board in a voluntary capacity. The EA role provides an opportunity for people over the age of 27 to influence and support the work and growth of InsideOUT through mentoring and guiding the executive board. InsideOUT primarily operates at the moment with a ‘for youth, by youth’ framework and we define ‘youth’ as under 27. So our board is mostly made up of people under that age, who hold the officer positions of Chair, Secretary and Treasurer and general board members. We then have up to three spaces at any time for people over the age of 27 to take on a role as an ‘Executive Advisor’ on the board, which in essence means being mindful not to take up too much space and let youth voices be heard, but to offer guidance and experience.
We are also seeking a treasurer with experience with Xero, accounting or previous experience as treasurer for an NGO. This role would have you:
- Oversee organisational finances in conjunction with National Coordinator
- Oversee financial reports for board and budget in conjunction with National Coordinator
- Facilitate the development of sustainable financial strategies
- Be responsible for ensuring the preparation of the end of year financial report
- Obtain a reviewed/audited report for the end of year financial position
- Liaise with regards to funding needed, funding, income, and policy
- Signatory for official endorsements and bank accounts of the organisation
- Approve of expense spending, in absence of chair
- Signing cheques as required
- Lead the development of Annual Budget with the board.
- Involved in the account auditing/review process
Youth Volunteers – we are always on the lookout for youth (under 27) to join our volunteer team. We need people with a range of skills and that great balance between organisers and creatives! Our volunteers take on all sorts of tasks including facilitating workshops, hosting our radio show, filming and editing, graphic design and supporting the running of events and campaigns.
The majority of our volunteering opportunities are based in Wellington, but we invite you to get in touch if you live elsewhere and have skills/time to offer!
Interested in any of these roles? Got something else in mind? E-mail us at email@example.com or send us a Facebook message to express your interest or get more info!